The content of the course will comprise of various topical
issues within the Arctic political and legal affairs: Arctic
geopolitics and international affairs, maritime affairs,
environmental law in the Arctic, indigenous governance in the
region. Also geopolitical changes, various aspects of multilateral,
international cooperation in the circumpolar North, particularly in
the post-Cold War period, environmental law and indigenous law will
be analyzed, including:
1) The process of environmental protection and cooperation in
the entire North.
2) The international environmental treaties applicable in
the Arctic region.
3) The role of non-governmental actors and indigenous
peoples including indigenous rights as part of human rights
framework and the position of indigenous peoples as international
4) Regionalism and regionalization.
5) The changing nature and stage, and different features of
6) Region building by states as major actors.
7) The development and activities of the Arctic Council and
some other major northern forums, institutions and
8) The maritime affairs and the law of the sea in the